Sunday, November 27, 2011

Levi's 505 Selvage Made in the USA

I have always have a fond place in my heart for Levi's 505 model. Back in high school, I had two perfect fitting 505s in a svelte size 32. I wore the hell outta them, and if I remember correctly, they were swiped by my girlfriend when she went off to college. Ahh, the makings a good Levi's commercial.

Through the 90's I did have a few 505s, but nothing memorable. My tastes shifted toward the iconic 501. I didn't consider the 505 model again until Brooks Brothers put out their made in the USA version last year. I scooped up this model but was disappointed that at $148 the denim wasn't made in the USA and wasn't selvage.

For the last year, the thought of USA made selvage 505s has haunted me. I never really made a concerted effort to find them. I did try the 1967 505s that J. Crew was offering, but they were too slim for my tastes.

While surfing around last week, wearing my Brooks 505s, I decided to search for these. Whaddya know, a blog post out there about a made in the USA 505, that was raw selvage, and limited edition. There were only 505 made. Sounded great, except that the blog post was a year old. What were the chances of finding, I thought. I had been looking for an excuse to check out the Levi's Vintage shop that had opened last year in NYC on West 14th street, so what the hell. Lo and behold, there was some stock of the 505s. Sales person told me that these were the 2011 model and the 2010 limited edition model was sold out. Tried on a few pairs of 501s and was stuck on the 505s, so was ready to leave with these when I figured I'd ask one more time if the sales dude could check for me. He came back upstairs, proudly holding 505 #29 of 505 from the limited edition run of 2010.

Did I need another pair of denim? I could tell you 100 things I need before more denim, but the nostalgia factor kicks in and my will power is no match for raw, selvage North Carolina denim made by US workers.

Here's the original blog post JUNCTUREMAG

Here's some shots of my new 505s. You can see the 29/505 stamped on the front pocket bag. Only gripe: no chainstitched hem.







Wonder if my pair from 1988 was made in the USA?

No comments: