Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rectangles


My obsession for a pair of quality shades ended in February with a pair of Ralph Lauren Aviators. I was fairly happy with them, being Polarized and all. They fit me pretty well, though I was never really able to reconcile the gold colored frames. I'm not a big fan of that color on me.

I do dig the aviator look, but I've always liked the rectangular shape better than the classic tear drop shape.

So my thirst was quenched until I got this month's GQ. In the GQ "Goods" layout (page 53 if you're keeping score at home)was a spread on Rectangular Radiators. Down at the bottom were a pair of oh-so-sweet Ray Bans. Just like that, the obsession returned. I searched every on-line site with Ray Bans to try to find the exact model in the magazine. It was a tough find, as the layout didn't specify the model number. After searching on line for a while, I took a look at the magazine again. Barely there, on the inside of the temple was the model number: RayBan 3136. BAM!

At the local mall there are 4 sunglass stores. 2 had the 3136 model, but in colors I didn't dig. Ended up buying a pair that were similar, but those went back.

So I try FramesDirect.com. They're an authorized dealer, so I trust them. Last thing I want to do is pay handsomely for a pair of knock-offs. I ordered the gunmetal frame color with green lenses. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have them. Just hoping they're available, as someone told me the 3136 has been discontinued.

These Ray Bans are made in Italy, and no one is more obsessed with their sunglasses than the Italians, so the quality will hopefully be top-notch.

Best of all, the green lenses will match nicely with the extra lime in my T&T.

No comments: