Friday, May 22, 2009

T&T


One of the things on my weekend list was to buy more Gin. Gin, the forgotten spirit. You go into a liquor store these days and the selection of Vodkas is astonishing. Brands from every corner of the world. Every flavor imaginable: Raspberry, Pear, Vanilla, Apple Pie, Ketchup, Mustard, Salt & Pepper. What the hell has happened to Vodka?

And there, in its much smaller shelf-space, lies Gin. Gin, oh wonderful Gin.

I never got much into Vodka. Never truly enjoyed a drink with Vodka like I enjoy Gin. Gin's aromas and lore always lured me in more than vodka. Maybe it's because my father always drank Gin & Tonics during the summer. He taught me how to make them when I was very young. He showed me the extra step not to be missed: the once-around the rim of the glass with the squeezed lime to make sure that the drinker got an extra hit of lime flavor wherever he sipped his drink.

With Vodka drinkers, you go out for a drink with them and to hear them order a drink is like hearing them describing a science project. With me and a couple of my boys, once summer hits, there is no question what we'll be having. T&T (Tanqueray & Tonic) with extra lime. The extra lime makes the whole difference.

My bottle of Bombay Sapphire is 3/4 done, so I thought more gin was needed, as next weekend I'm having a BBQ at the house and there will be plenty of Gin drinkers to satisfy. I prefer the Sapphire for martinis, so I grabbed some Tanqueray for the T&Ts. Picked up some Plymouth as well, as I've been meaning to try this for a while now. It's gotten rave reviews from Gin drinkers around the globe.

To some folks, the official start of summer is breaking out the beach wear. To some, its getting the BBQ grill ready for action. For me, its that unmistakable smell of the limes and Gin combining to make that perfect summer item.

For some more information on this glorious invention, take a look Here

If you're not foaming at the mouth now, you must be a Vodka drinker. Shame.

No comments: