Friday, December 4, 2009

Say what Jack ?

The Jack Knows Best feature for men has been a nice add to the J Crew website, even if it does just seem like a way to point people to more J Crew products they should be buying.

Here's what I found very interesting: When asked about denim, Jack recommends that the anchor to your denim collection should be a pair or dark, or preferably raw, jeans, with little (if any) artificial wear-signs. I'm all for this, of course.

The odd thing is that if one looks at the J Crew denim collection these days, this is exactly what you're least likely to find. As far as I can tell, there is just one pair in the vinatge slim category that could fill this need ("worn rinse wash"). The blue and black resin crinkle wash jeans are quite nice, but the straight fit was only offered on-line and are almost entirely sold out now. (Sorry, the 484 slim fits are too claustrophobic for me)

The "dark worn wash" looks nice at first site, but when I tried them on the artificial fading, whiskers, and marks in the back of the knee were a turn-off.

Just seems like there are so many pre-faded, destroyed, repaired, worn wash, etc jeans. I think its a bit overkill, no?

Let's get back to the classics.

Jack, ya hear?

1 comment:

Armilyn and David said...

I agree. J. Crew has always struggled in the denim department, at least for men. They have been either too bland, like in the 90s, or too trendy like now, which is a bit counter to the rest of the style that they are pushing.

I have seen a selvedge jean that is in the store and not in the catalog. I think it is their straight fit. It is a light solid blue, not quite a stonewash, that retails in the $150 range.

Honestly, I've never had a desire to try on their jeans due to their odd treatments. I don't do the "crinkle" wash. I'd just rather save my money and get some Levi's and spend the rest on a shirt or chinos.

David