Saturday, December 19, 2009

Santa comes early...

Back in the day when I was in grade school, and snow days were a part of life, impending snow always put me in such a great mood.

So Friday, the weather man starts talking about a major snowstorm headed our way. Kinda messed up wedding plans of my best friend this weekend, but never the less, I got that nervous-energy-happy-feeling back on Friday.

Jake Davis had a piece about the newly blown-out crotch on his APC New Standard Jeans on Friday. I have been wanting to replace my Levi’s Vintage 1947s since I shrunk them 18 months ago, but didn’t know what to replace them with. Kicking Mule Workshop? Samurai? Dior?

The APC thread got me curious. I had never done my research on them. My research on Friday quickly told me I had to check these out.

Went up to the APC shop on Mercer St in SOHO. A really nice guy working there in the denim department schooled me a bit on the fits, stretching, wear, etc. 30 mins later I walked outta there with a dope pair of Japanese raw selvage New Standards. I bought a 33 waist. Usually I’m a 34 in Levi’s & J Crew.



I’ve been wearing these babies since 7pm yesterday and they are beginning to stretch already. Just will have to get the inseam taken in a few inches.

I’m really looking forward to breaking these in. I will definitely make these A#1 denim for the next 12-18 months, and hopefully longer.


Today, I was able to find a real score: J Crew’s men’s 100% cashmere winter hat for 50% off. Had been balking at the full retail price of this one for a while. In the meantime, I bought 3 other winter hats, so now I have 4 for this winter. I’m stacked. This cashmere baby is sure to be my new best friend on cold winter days in NYC.

5 comments:

jcrew guy in Canada said...

I've always wondered if all the work raw denim needs is worth it. Looking forward to hearing not just the $$$ cost, but the time and work involved with your jeans.

Great score on the hat. I hope to get one, but sadly they are still full pop. How does the hat fit? Will it stand up better than J.Crew cashmere sweaters?

JB said...

JCG: I'll keep you updated on how they break in.

The hat fits great. I love it. If it doesn't stand up to normal wear, Mr Mickey will hear about it....

jcrew guy in Canada said...

Hey JB thanks for the post on the hat; I caved and ordered one in nickel. I wanted the blue one, but it was back ordered until February.

Really enjoy your blog, keep up the good work.

Stephen said...

Like the blog!
I'm late to the selvedge and wingtips. I ordered the JCrew selvedge jean ($150) and the JCrew wingtips ($168, chestnut). What do you think of their standard label issues versus the jeans and Florsheim brand you bought? Thanks!

JB said...

Ryan- J Crew's shoes are not what they used to be. Quality has fallen a lot as they moved production from Italy to Bulgaria, Romania, etc. For the price, better shoes can definitely be had. When you compare them to the Florsheims Imperial Kenmoor, there is just no comparsion. Not sure about the new Gifford Line (made in Italy). Not ready to drop near $300 to find out!

Their jeans do well it the fit area (for me), but again, at full price, better values can be had.

They are made in Canada, which I like. Their range of washes for Fall/Winter was bland, IMO. I do own quite a few pair, but only after finding them with nice discounts.

Let me know how you find the jeans and shoes...