Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Honeycrisp

I've been writing about my love for Fall since the end of July. Now that we've come to harvest time, one of the best parts of the season has arrived: Honeycrisp apples.

I'm originally from a part of NY State well-known for its apples and I never heard of or tasted Honeycrisp apples until 2004. Check this out, courtesy of Honeycrisp.org:

Honeycrisp fruit is characterized by an exceptionally crisp and juicy texture. Its flesh is cream colored and coarse. The flavor is sub-acid and ranges from mild and well-balanced to strongly aromatic, depending on the degree of maturity. It has consistently ranked as one of the highest quality apples in the University of Minnesota sensory evaluations.



What does all that mean? To me, it means its the best tasting apple I've ever eaten.

Migliorelli Farm, a farm in Tivoli, NY sets up a stand in lower Manhattan every Tues/Thurs in the Fall to sell their produce. Their Honeycrisp apples are a real treat. Picked some up today.

Check them out instead of the Mister Softee truck if you are in town.

4 comments:

sarah b. said...

i loooooooove honeycrisp apples... and i don't even really like apples. i make an exception for them. i'll certainly be missing them this year (i moved to holland & haven't noticed any here).

Unknown said...

I'm not an apple fan but every time I eat apple, I eat Fuji until I started to know honeycrisp... It's not as sweet as Fuji and it's perfectly balanced with sweet and sour. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I never had/heard of the honecrisp but they definitely sound yummy. I may have to bribe my friends to ship me some :-)

JB said...

Miss Masala: I am now accepting all bribes.