Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mickey's 501s

I've been a lover of Levi's since I was 14. Been through all the phases of 501s, 505s, 514s, Capital E, silver tabs, antiqued, acid washed, LVCs, vintage flea market pairs, etc.

I'm always on the lookout for that perfect pair. NYC. NJ. Upstate. Montreal. Italy. Greece. London. I've scoured everywhere. It's like chasing the holy Grail, as any Levi's lover will attest.

During a non-chalant walk into my local J Crew last weekend I spied some new Levi's on the front table in Men's. Endorphin rush.

The details: A 13oz dark indigo blue, with little fading and distressting....They felt hefty on first touch. I was in the dressing room within 2 minutes. Non selvage, but that's cool. The Levi's back pocket tag reminded me of my 501s from the 80s.

There were 2 selvage pairs offered, but one was too artificially distressed for my liking, and one was more black than blue, which I didn't dig.

I wasn't in the Liquor Store or 484 Bway so it looks like many regular retail J Crew shops will be carrying these. Best of all, these Levi's actually come in 30 and 32 length, unlike many of the higher end Levi's that only seem to come in 34" inseams these days.

Did I really need another pair of jeans? Of course not. But couple 501s and J Crew (the inside of the pocket bag actually says made exclusively for J Crew) and I can't say no. I just can't.

Guess I'll have to rotate these with my APCs (now almost a month and a half old) and my Nudies (almost 3 weeks old now).

No comments: