Saturday, February 20, 2010

Winter at 50%

And so we reach the half-way point of the winter. Which means the S/S 2010 goodies start to appear. Thankfully, as I've said before, I'm not a big shorts and polos kinda guy so not much is tempting me!

Except that J Crew Red Chambray. A lot of peeps are sweating this shirt. Better live up to its hype! I did the pre-order so it should be showing up this week. Willy Cheesesteak has a great shot of it on his blog here.

With great glee, I have fallen victim to 3 pairs of Levi's 501 since the new year.

1. Levi's 501 for J Crew in Best Blues (Selvedge)


2. Levi's 501 for J Crew in Indigo Ridge (previously mentioned in this blog)

3. Levi's 501 Dark Rinse (Selvedge). Made in USA. Beautiful dark denim. Probably 12 oz weight. Never seen anything like these anywhere. Found them in Bloomingdales in Short Hills, NJ. Had my eye on them for soooo long, but the $168 price tag put me off. Then one day in early February I'm walking thru the store and there happens to be a 50% off sale. I go over to the table where these are, expecting my size to be gone, but alas, there they were. I couldn't resist. These are beautiful. Will try to get some pix that do them justice.

I spent the better part of last week in Montreal, and believe it or not, I didn't dent the wallet. Saw some beautiful things but I held back. To be truthful, the wife was quite surprised at my control!

Truth be told, I did try and score another pair of Nudie Averages Joe's (cuz i LOVE the way my first pair are wearing thus far), but after I ordered with Oi Polloi I was informed they were sold out in my size!

Also, I've been pretty strong on holding off on those Alden's!

The New Levi's LVC collection has landed at selected joints (Farinelli's has a nice write up on them). I really want to get back into a pair of 1947s, but I'm gun shy given my recent purchases (since December) of APCs, Nudies, and a bunch of 501s.

To quench my thirst I got a pair of Levi's 501 STF in Verde. Went for my natural waist this time instead of +2 inches. Did my 20 min soak in a hot bath as my family looked on and contemplated calling a shrink. (no pun intended there). After 20 mins they felt great. Wore them for 2 hours and then let them dry overnight on a clothes rack. Have to say, for $36 (thanks Zappos and FREE next day shipping) these are quite impressive. As much as I dig those '47s (now close to $225, and $265 for the pre-shrunk J Crew version), I can get 6 pairs of these STFs. At some point I think I will fall victim to these 47s. WHY DID I EVER THROW MY LAST PAIR IN THE WASH!!! UUGHHHHHHHHH!

That's it for now.

Oh yeah, Sade's album is at number 1. Rightfully so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you checked out the Japanese denim 501s that were on the Levi's website? Put This On blogged about the 514s, but I found 501s as well. I think they were around $98

JB said...

Japanese 501s on the Levi's site? Didn't catch them. Do tell where!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3631363&cp=3146842.3146844.3146854.3194290.3692022

I swore a few weeks ago it said Japanese, but not anymore. They are selvedge though, and for $98, hard to beat.

neakal said...

I used to shop at Oi Polloi , these guys were very good for sizing about different denim, but since now they have too much business, service gone for nose dive. There is one guy from Germany have shop www.cultizm.com, for $167 + $20 approx shipping you can get LVC 1947. They are simply good the first time i bought LVC 505 1967, i explain them my problem for fit they sent me two sizes charged me for one. Don't just believe me try them. I am planning to buy lvc 1955. Just waiting to clean my closet. Just had Sugar Cane 1947 for $300, Denim is very fine.