Saturday, May 1, 2010

Canvas

I came home friday to my Lands' End Canvas package. I had high hopes based on what I'd seen so far on line.

I ordered a whole bunch of stuff cuz the shipping was on them and I had a 20% off coupon. My order had 3 poplin gingham shirts, in various colors, 3 oxford shirts (one striped, two solids), a pair of aviator shades, and a pair of straight fit khakis.

The gingham shirts didn't strike me much. Fit was good, but the colors were blah. The orange was too bright, the medium blue too vibrant and the navy blue looked like black. All 3 failed.

The oxfords felt nice in the hand at first touch. The solid blue and solid white had the same fit as the poplin, but they didn't do anything to me when I put them on. Kinda blah. The blue and white striped oxford was a hit. Classic look, nice feel, good colors on me. 1 for 3 there. One thing: The collar is a bit too short for my tastes, but I can live with it.

The Aviator shades looked so nice on-line. In person, these made-in-China babies had a cheap feel. Definitely not worth the price, even with 20% off. Pass.

The Khakis were my favorite of the bunch. Fit was TTS. Classic shade of khaki. Rise was a bit lower than I expected, which I liked. Made in Sri Lanka. Same as GAP's khakis. They kinda look the same...maybe same factory?.

I wish I had thrown a pair of jeans in the order just to see how they fit. Maybe I'll score a pair if I have another coupon someday. It's just that "sail stitch" across the back pocket is a big turnoff.

Just today I got a handwritten note from a LEC customer service rep thanking me for my order and telling me how much she liked the Khakis. Kinda ironic, as the khakis ended up being my fave piece as well.

Overall, I'd give the LEC pieces a 6.

5 for styling and quality, and another 1 for good price points.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad about the shirts. I have the white oxford, which I typically layer. It is a nice weight that will allow me to wear into the summer on all but the hottest days. However, I guess I have to be extremely clean shaven when I wear it, as it fuzzes on top of the collar. I'd definitely give it a 6.

However, I do like the polo I have. Slightly lighter weight than the Gap and Hilfiger polos I have, it still performs nicely and fits well.

I'll be interested in seeing their fall lineup once it starts hitting in a few weeks.

Stephen said...

I've had some hits and misses with LEC, too. Hits include the blue pea-coat which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Hands down the best thing they've got. In size medium, it is lighter weight so I can weat it several seasons comfortably and the fabic is smooth anf feels great. The sleeves are lined in a smooth satin-ish fabric so it's easy to put on/ take off and it has plenty of pockets on both sides.
I also like the pull-over grey sweatshirt. In medium, the fit is a bit snug but it's not too long which I love. (I like them to hit not to far past the waist line.) It's a a bit of a modern pattern heather (or gym) grey so that took a little getting
used to (not quite as off as the Jaspe pattern at JC.)
Also enjoy my blue and white stripe jersey polo. Only complaint is the collar is a bit too floppy.
Also got the dark denim jacket b/c it was way cheaper than the JC Levi's version. Fits great and may wash it a few to rough it up some.
Misses include the chino blazer. I wished it would have fit but it was too snug in the shoulders and too long. Thw fabric felt grea but it was too hard to put on/take off b/c the sleeves weren't lined with a satin-like fabric (they use the same fabric as the jacket.)
Now I'm tempted to try some of LLBean Signature Line. Have you?

JB said...

Stephen-
Looks like you got some good hits there.

I'm eager to try LL Bean Signature. Maybe in June...or maybe wait till Fall stock starts hitting...