Thursday, January 6, 2011

Black is the new Black

After my first trip to Italy in '96 I vowed to keep black shoes off of my feet while in public. I always preferred the richness of the color brown, but witnessing how the Italian men made grey flannel and navy blue really POP with a pair of medium brown shoes made me realize I had been living in the dark ages.

Today on the way home from work I took a visual shoe-survey of the men I saw on the street and on the train. I'd say a good 85-90% who were wearing dress shoes had black. Now what the shoes looked like is a whole 'nother story.

I've been very partial lately to Allen Edmond's Walnut Color and Alden's #8.

However, the past month has me feeling I need to add one quality black pair to my rotation. This Alden beauty may just be the one:

What's your preference on mix of colors?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brown, in all shades. I have 2 pairs of black shoes and 8 brown shoes/boots. Hell, even my flip flops are brown.

What kills me is when guys wear navy pants with black shoes. It doesn't look right. The two colors are too close together, so you get that weird "was he trying to match" effect.

My one pair of black dress shoes are some Cole Haan bench-made-in-England Stanton models that I bought in early 1999 for my wedding. I got them for something like $80 at a Nordstrom Rack sample sale. They're classic cap-toes, but my jobs have never required me to be that dressed up, so I haven't worn them for a full day since my wedding. I actually looked at them last night, once again thinking if I should sell them.