Thursday, May 21, 2009

The List-Weekend



I'm on my daily commute to work today. It's 7:10am and the train is rolling into NYC, and my mind is racing faster than it should be so early in the morning. Today is Thursday, just one day more to go before the start of the long weekend. Ahhhh, the long Memorial Day weekend. The start of summer fun....And all I can do is think of more and more things to add to my ever-growing list of tasks that need to get done. I'm a list kinda guy. Something to be done? Put in on list, prioritize it, do it, and cross it off. That's how I organize things in my head. Works for me. Wife hates it.

Jump to the office...in the elevator.... overhearing some conversations about all the fun planned for the long weekend. My mind just jumps over to the task list again. Oil change, Tire rotation, mow the lawn, dry cleaners, gas for the BBQ grill, plan menu for next week's BBQ, etc, etc, etc. Suddenly I felt so adult-ish. So grown up. So boring.

Some days I do still feel 25, but man, some days I do feel my age, and then some.

My wife is probably right. I probably do obsess too much about tasks, and I don't live in the moment enough. My moments will come this weekend though. Expecting my J Crew Aldridge suit tomorrow (65% off, thank you very much), and I have a ticket to Body & Soul on Sunday. Plus, I plan to surprise the wife tonight with an early b-day present that she's gonna flip for. M1 and M2 will no doubt get plenty of time for the swings, the parks, their bikes, etc.

So for everyone out there rolling through this long weekend with no list, enjoy. I'll be running around trying to cross things off mine. And trying to live in the moment in between.

~JB

No comments: