Saturday, September 5, 2009

'69 Obsessed

I have to admit, I have obsessed about these new Gap 1969 jeans over the last month. I've been searching all around NYC and NJ to score the best pair, since inventory from store to store varies greatly, I've found.

The new Authentic fit is really, really suiting me. Really diggin how they dropped the pockets in the back and raised the rise just a bit from the straight fit. I'm ending up with the Authentic fit in Rigid Selvage (not on-line) and Whiskered Authentic Wash. I also picked up the Resin Wash, Rustic Wash/Selvage, and Selvage Dark Rinse Wash for comparison but they all went back.

I was pretty close to keeping the Rustic Wash. I loved the rich blue color on these and the slight distressing, but the hole in the knee was just too much for me. I couldn't rock the ripped jeans 20 years ago in high school and I can't do it now either.

Searched like a obsessed teenager for the Straight Fit Rigid Selvage (not on-line). Missed a pair by 5 minutes to a 60-something dude. Good for him, I guess. Scored a pair 2 weeks later when not even looking for them.

Tried on the Skinny Fit just for fun. Fun, it was not, trying to button these up. I almost tripped over my feet trying to get these off in the dressing room. Quite a sight.

4 comments:

jcrew guy in Canada said...

Checked these okay today in the mall, but since it was smokin' out out I could bring myself to try them on. I'm thinking the straight cut might be the way to go. I'll let you know which ones work best when I take a pair for a spin.

Anonymous said...

Authentic fit didn;t work for me--what do you think of the new J. Crew 484 slim fit? Better fit for me than the Vintage Slim...no selvedge though

JB said...

JCG: The straights are a great cut. Try the authentics and lemme know how you find the difference.

Anon: The J Crew 484 went too far for me. While the top wasn't too bad on the waist and rise, the thighs and calves made me feel claustrophobic. I could barely move. Maybe I just don't have the body for them?

Anonymous said...

I have a pair of the rustic wash selvedge in my closet, tags still on. I, too, love the distressing overall, but am not sure about the hole in the knee.

I also have a pair of the standard in the light wash.