Friday, September 4, 2009

Uniq-NO

Back in July, GQ recommended a tweed wool sportcoat from Uniqlo. The article said the jacket was slim fitting and worth the $100 price tag indeed.



I patiently waited until the end of August for this jacket to appear in-store. I went to check it out last week and was pretty disappointed. The wool, while soft, felt very thin.

The jacket, while slim fitting, fit horribly in the shoulders. The overall construction looked more like the jacket should have been $49 instead of $99. Needless to say, it went right back on the rack. A lot of blogging about the niceness of this one, but I have to disagree.

I did spot some really nice selvage denim, with the MADE IN JAPAN tags clearly and prominently displayed. I tried on a pair of the regular fit and found them pretty flattering. The rise was just about right and the thighs not too tight. The denim seemed really nice with solid construction. If it wasn't for the fact that I just plopped down the card for the Levi's 514 Imprint, I probably would have copped these. Oh well, maybe next season.

Uniqlo also had their merino wool V-necks on sale for $29.99. Took a quick look but they seemed too thin. See-thru thin actually.

All in all, no luck at Uniqlo.

2 comments:

jcrew guy in Canada said...

read the same article in GQ and thought the jacket looked great. Good to know I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the heads up on this one as well as the J.Crew jacket discussed previous. Really enjoying your blog.

JB said...

Thanks JCG. Glad I could be of some help!