Thursday, July 15, 2010

LL Cool Bean

Being a suckah for new denim, I had to get my undeserving hands on the new LL Bean 1912 Selvedge jeans. I've been quite the LL Bean Signature fan of late, so I had high hopes for these.

Not available on-line or over the phone, so I had to phone up my local LL Bean in Marlton, NJ. The store wasn't so local (almost 2 hrs away) so I asked the good folks there to ship these to me.

Ship 'em they did and I received them next day.

Out of the box, the denim was impressive. Cone Mills supplied the White Oak selvedge denim and some friends in Mexico put the jeans together. The jeans weren't raw. Looked like a one-wash rinse. All in all, not a bad color. A bit blah though.

The quality of the jeans seemed up to par. No chainstitching on the hem though. Wide belt loops. Nice Mid-rise. They ran close to TTS, with my 34 waist measuring in at just under 35.

The top block of the jeans fit pretty good. Didn't know what to expect from the LL bean Standard Fit, but I was pleasantly surprised.

After that, it went down hill. The back pockets were too odd. Silly lines across the back pockets, trying too hard to be hip. The pockets were too square and just looked like old dude jeans to me. The thigh and bottom of the leg down to the hem was too large for my liking. The cuff measured 9.25" across. Too roomy.

Alas, these had to be sent back to LL. For $79 I guess you could do a lot worse but I couldn't see myself giving my 3Sixteens or Jean Shop babies a day off for these.

Read more about them HERE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised when I first heard about these that they were from the mainline and not from the Signature collection. While the Signature customer is probably hip to the selvedge denim thing, I would think the regular Bean customer couldn't care less about selvedge. Not too surprised about the fit either. Perhaps when the fall Signature line drops in a few weeks, there'll be some selvedge in there.