Sunday, July 11, 2010

Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch

Been wearing my APC New Standards since mid Dec '09 without a wash or soak. The first few months they saw some good wear, but not as much after March, when I picked up my 3Sixteens.

Back when I bought them, the sales dude warned me about stretch. I bought a tagged size 33. They were probably a 33.5 - 34 in the waist. They were quite uncomfortable at the time.

Well, this weekend I couldn't take it any longer. They had to be washed. They had stretched all the way out to a 38" waist. I could barely wear them anymore.

I did a hot soak for an hour and then a hot wash, followed by 15 mins in the dryer. Blasphemous, I know.

The jeans, after hanging dry, measured just over 35 in the waist. When I slipped them on, they fit perfect. I was quite happy. They were a bit stiff, so I wore them while mowing the lawn. Two hours later, they had stretched out in the waist beyond my liking again. What to do, what to do?

Have these babies gone too far???

Suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek!

I'm actually going to watch and wait for comments too. You have me nervous to even wash a pair of new standards now. lol.

Try soaking them again and letting them air dry for a day without wearing them. That normally takes the waist in for me.

neakal said...

I have APC NS 34" , I don't wait for months to wash my jeans. So I washed 2nd time it 90 centigrade , dry on 40 centigrade for 100 minutes. Now It is what followed my body. I can say this jeans fit is really awesome. Now I just wash on 30 centigrade and no dryer just air dry out side. well it stretched after wash but not more then 35" after 2 days wearing.

Anonymous said...

just stumbled upon your blog...I have a pair of apc ns sized down 1. They stretched way too much for my taste, so I washed them and hung to dry. The fit after drying was good, but soon they stretched out again. Feeling like I had nothing to lose, I washed in hot and put them in the dryer. I do not know the total shrinkage, but it was pretty significant along the inseam. I also lost some good indigo. The fit is great, just watch out for shrinkage along the inseam. I also have those 501 levis from bloomingdales made in usa...how did they turn out?

JB said...

Thanks Anon. I will try them in another hot wash and a full dryer cycle.

The 501s from Bloomingdales are really nice jeans, eh? Truth be told, I haven't given them as much wear as they deserve. The real inky blue color is so damn nice. Little wear and no washes, so these look new. Yours???

Anonymous said...

just bought them this weekend...was looking through sale rack and they were tucked in the back...they look exactly like the made in mexico 501 from jcrew..I called levis, but they did not have any info on the jean. I was just happy to see made in usa..the info on the button number suggests california...