Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lodestar

While I'm not a big fan of summer wear, the J Crew shirting offerings this year have been very tempting. Did I just say "shirting" ?

The lightweight shirt is quite big again this year. Most of the shirts I spied this past weekend were of the lightweight variety. It's a nice concept for summer, but for me, it just doesn't work. I don't mind paying full retail for a J. Crew shirt I really dig, but a lightweight shirt only really works in one season here in the NYC/NJ area. I bought one lightweight shirt last year and found that once September rolled around, the shirt really wasn't useful.

I'd rather spend my dough on a shirt that I can wear 365 days of the year.

That said, I gravitated toward the Madras options. The Lodestar Madras shirt has been on my radar for the last 4 weeks. The green Hillside Madras was all the rage pre-release, but when I tried it on I found it a bit too much on the big blocks of green.

The red and dark blue contrast on the Lodestar worked much better for me. The flap pocket sealed the deal. Very comfortable madras cotton. Looking forward to giving it its bow this weekend when the weather is supposed to hit 75 degrees here in NJ.

4 comments:

jcrew guy in Canada said...

Hey JB, I scored the green 'hillside' madras. I received more notice with it (in a positive way) than I have over clothing in years.

I have a Gap one like the one you picked-up, but as we all know Gap quality is far below J.Crew.

JB said...

The green Hillside must be pretty popular, as the website has it sold out till may 10th!

Anonymous said...

I just purchase a salmon hoody from J. Crew as well as the $38 blue and white stripe tee today.

I was looking around and saw the infamous fireman jacket. Now talk about love as 1st sight. I had to walk out of the store at that point.

*sigh*

JB said...

AK- How nice is that fireman's, eh???