Monday, November 22, 2010

Drink the Root

This past week at the J. Crew holiday shopping event the fine folks at J. Crew offered Brooklyn Lager and a mystery brown liquor that looked like a bourbon, just a bit more translucent.

Being a bourbon fan, I skipped the beer and went for the brown mystery liquid in the rocks glass. When I asked the server what it was, he replied "Wood Liquor". This is the ultimate, I thought. J. Crew has taken the workwear thing to the final step and has started making and marketing their own moonshine!

When I asked for more clarity, the server directed me to the bartender. The bartender showed me the bottle. What he was pouring was a liquor named "ROOT". Reading the ingredients, its something you'd never dream of drinking, but this magical potion was damned good. Just to be sure I liked it, I had 2 more.

What's in it? Birch bark, black tea, sugar cane, sassafras, lemon peel, anise, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

The origins date back to the 1700s when the Native Americans introduced it to the settlers as "Root Tea".

It's a taste that's hard to describe, but if you're looking for something off the beaten path this winter, I'd suggest you take a look at the history and how its made in this video:

CHECK OUT THE ROOT

No comments: