Thursday, November 18, 2010

J. Crew Holiday Event

A few weeks back I received a surprise invite to a Holiday shopping event at the new J. Crew men's shop @ 79th and Madison in NYC.

Tonight was the night so I headed uptown after work, not sure exactly what to expect.
Walking on Madison Ave, I saw a J. Crew storefront and a sign on the door that said "Closed for Private Event". This is it, I thought. I walked in, gave my name at the door, and stepped into the store. It was extremely loud and busy. I looked around and thought "this place didn't look like pix I had seen." Where was the men's clothes? Why are the walls white instead of wood? This is not what I expected. Just then I realized I was in the Women's store! Embarassed, I turned around and walked out.

Across Madison Ave, I finally found myself in the right spot. Immediately I could sense a different vibe. More laid back. More calming.

I was greeted by friendly staff, all exceptionally dressed. The store felt less chaiotic than the store at 484 Broadway, which I always find very busy and filled with tourists. The space is surely less cramped than the Liquor Store as well.

The layout is obviously the product of much deliberate planning. After one trip around, I felt the store easy to shop and navigate.

The selection was outstanding. The J. Crew Men's shops of today have come so far from the cookie cutter J. Crew Mall stores of the 90s. The selection of third party goods almost seeemed to overwhelm the actual J. Crew offerings. Tons of Belstaff, Thomas Mason, Imogene and Willie, and a few brands I had never heard of before.

The shoe section was downstairs. One word: unbeatable. The Crockett and Jones pebble grain boots killed me. Gorgeous cordovan wing tips and boots from Alden.

The selection of ties was impressive. Oddly, a lot of styles that I quickly passed on-line, looked much better in public.

Walking back upstairs, I sparked up a conversation with Mr. Frank Muytjens. First impression: Tall. Second impression: Impeccable style that comes off as being as easy as cake. We immediately compared Moscot frames. We spoke about the elevation of the brand, his excitement season to season, the re-development of certain mall stores men shops, and how he was very happy with the direction things are going. I congratulated him on his wonderful accomplishments over the last few years. A very pleasurable gentleman to speak with, indeed.

Got a gift bag on leaving that contained the book What a Man Should Know and a pair of two color tipped cotton socks.

An enjoyable evening indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a good time. I wish they'd do a men's store outside of NYC. I think Chicago, SF, and LA would be good locations.