Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Pop Up Flea

Michael Williams, you are better than Santa Claus, giving us all an early Christmas present with the Pop Up Flea. I ain't never missin' one of these things again.

The place was buzzing really active when I walked in at 5:30 on Friday. There were with so many quality vendors that I could go on and on. I have to have to admit I've become a little bit too used to NJ malls where most of the people are not there because they want to be, but because they have to be--buying new shoes for junior, new socks for Daddy and a new vacuum for Mama. This was a refreshing break from that scene.

Some of the vendors who stand out in my mind:

-Levis Vintage Clothing: never seen more LVC jeans in one place.
-Gitman: the shirts are really that nice.
-Tanner goods: the leather bracelets were my favorite. Huge selection of goods.
-LL Bean Signature: The wool jackets were standouts.
-Warby Parker: How the hell do they sell such kick ass frames with lenses for that price?
-Billykirk bags: stunningly nice in real life.
-Oak Street Bootmakers: Their shoes/boots screamed quality. Bummer they didn't seem to have their Beef-roll Penny Loafers.

You know the deal.

The fine guys at Riviera Club gave me a Bud. Hit the spot. Thank you dudes.

I had the the extreme pleasure of meeting Tony and Pete from Tellason. (Nice to meet a fellow paesano who is passionate about espresso.)

Now, I've been waiting till my Tellason jeans were good and broken it (3 months and counting) before doing a feature on how much I dug 'em. Well, now I'm going to have to do a double post because I became a repeat Tellason customer with my purchase of the brand new Tellason x A Continuous Lean straight fit jeans. It's a new cut of their famous Tellason jeans, designed in collaboration with Michael Williams. These beauties aren't even advertised yet. More on Tellason and that purchase tomorrow.

What a treat to be within earshot as Tony and Pete explained the artistry behind their jeans to visitors to their table. You can see it all over their faces that they whole-heartedly believe in what they're doing. They're not here for the quick buck. It's the real deal. Besides, you know you're dealing with two quality gentlemen when they offer you a shot of Wild Turkey before you leave. Stright out of the bottle. My kind of guys.

Best part of the event? Easily, it was all of the people coming together for the one common theme of supporting these homeland craftsmen who put their 110 % into their products. If only I had a foot-high stack of benjamins to spend in that place to show my support.

If you're in the area, a visit to the Pop Up Flea is well worth your time this weekend.

No comments: