Friday, November 19, 2010

Need a Cawffee, Need a Dollah

I'm really not a huge Starbucks fan. I'd just rather not stand behind 10 people ordering their venti skinny soy mocha lattes with a shot of hazelnut and extra foam while I look around at people with shiny laptops (laptops actually work-obviously they don't have kids) drafting anti-establishment poetry.

But I do like their Thanksgiving and Christmas coffee beans, which seem to have lots of spicy coffee flavors and none of the trademark Starbucks bitterness.

So I'm ordering a Christmas blend coffee today by chance, and the dude behind the counter, excuse me, I mean the Barista, knocks over a display with cards for a free weekly iTunes song. Boom, right at me. No big deal. So I help the guy out and start picking up the cards.

I take a look at the card as I'm waiting for my medium, excuse me, I mean Grande, Christmas Blend. The song is "I need a dollar", by Aloe Blacc, the theme song from HBO's series "How to Make it in America" from earlier in the year. I was a fan of the show (2 dudes in NYC trying to make a line of selvage denim jeans...how can you not?) but actually a bigger fan of the theme song. WHAT? I actually dig a jam recommended by Starbucks? Embarrassed, I slide the card in my pocket for later.

And there ya go...how a random trip to Starbucks makes it to Thirty Selvedge.

Enjoy the song.

No comments: