Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Upside of a Flat Foot

See if you buy this: At age 12 I started wearing orthotics thanks to extremely flat feet. Pain in my arches and heels since I can remember. And this royally sucks, cuz I love to walk. Give me an open afternoon and I'd walk Manhattan top to bottom if I could.

I'm a bit older than 12 these days and the flat feet have now caused tendonitis in my ankles. Pain. Real pain.

What to do for tendonitis pain? RICE is the treatment. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

Seeing that I gotta work to pay the bills (and a few treats me for as well), and I have two small humans, ages 5 and 4, extended Rest is more of a long shot than the Yankees landing Cliff Lee for $2MM a year.

Ice? Maybe one cube in my Knob Creek, please.

Compression? How do you compress the tendon, or keep it from moving around too much? Let's try a natural method: Boots! Boots would be a natural, practical way to do this. Now this can work.
After years of pain, I need the best compression device out there.

Tendonitis = Alden boots.

Thankfully my pre-order Alden Roy boots were shipped from the fine fellas at Context Clothing this week, after a long multi-month wait.

Last treatment step: Elevation. I'm hoping to kick these up on many a coffee table as I explain to folks my flat feet and tendonitis, hoping for some sympathy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. Did they come with a crepe, rubber or leather sole? My feet aren't flat, but I typically have to insert arch supports, so it takes me a while to find new shoes that I like and feel comfortable in.

I actually tried on the Timberland Abington 5-inch boot this weekend and it was amazing. The padded insole makes a huge difference. Plus the suede was styling.

JB said...

I didn't get 'em just yet, but I think its a crepe soul.
I'll have to check on those Tims. Man, foot pain really makes me feel like an old man!