Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Perfect Penny

Doing some research in my quest for the perfect penny loafer, I've found that there sure are a lot of folks out there who've become quite obsessed with this same task. Luckily, all of their madness has aided me in my search.

I haven't owned a pair of penny loafers since I worked at Marshalls in the Summer of '88 and bought a pair there with my oh-so-generous 15% employee discount.

To tell you the truth, I don't really like loafers all that much. When I see dudes wearing a suit/tie and loafers I cringe. But the timeless appeal and classic nature of these shoes has reeled me in.

I've been so taken with hunting down the proper pair that I haven't had the time to add any other content to this web log.

My search is not yet over, but here is what I've found so far:

1. Bass Weejuns: Most will agree these are the originals. Most will also agree that they've lost a few steps in recent years. Tried a few models on but wasn't thoroughly impressed. Vamp seemed too low. Low vamps kill the whole thing for me.

Ordered the Bass Dover, with high expectations, thanks to the GQ endorsement. The fit was ok, but the plasticky look of the corrected grain leather was horrible. HORRIBLE!

2. Sebago: Figured I had to try these to try out another classic. The fit was not good for my feet. Too wide. Too awkward looking on me.

3. Johnston & Murphy: The name of the model escapes me, but just go to the store or website and look for the most phony-leather looking shoe you can find, and thats the one I tried on. Holy Weejuns, these looked horrible. The fit, however, was pretty kind.

4. Brooks Brothers: The burgundy color was kind bland. Made in Dominican Republic. Fit was decent. Vamp was a bit low. Salesman couldn't find the box, which made me a bit suspicious. Had to leave them.

5. Allen Edmonds Walden: Best fit I've found so far. Beautiful construction and color. The shoe is a corrected-grain leather, but its not atrocious like some of the other offerings. Full leather lined. Comfy leather insole. Made in the USA. A possible keeper.

6. Allen Edmonds Kenwood: I like the beefroll styling on this shoe but haven't been able to locate it in-store yet, so nothing to report.

7. Alden Cape Cod Beefroll: Unionmade has some of these babies, but not in my size. Bummer. Very hard to find. Possibly just an urban myth!

8. Bass Gordon for J. Crew: Found these on the sale section of J. Crew this weekend at quite a handsome discount. The brown is not really the shade I'm going for, but I had to give them a shot, as they're made in the USA. Set to arrive this week. A contender?

There were a few more try-ons thrown in there but I can't seem to keep them all straight in my head. I think I need to stop.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experiences with finding the loafer that makes them as happy as Richie Cunningham at Inspiration Point.

5 comments:

Some Assembly Required said...

Hi-

I've been going through a very similar situation. I bought Weejuns and Sebagos on eBay because they were old enough to be US made, but they were either too tight or too big.

If money was not an issue I probably would have gone with the AE Waldens (I'm not into the beef roll). I ended up getting a pair of Cole Haan "Pinch" with Nike Air in the heels on sale at Endless for $118 (originally $168). They are surprisingly comfortable, I think because they are more substantially cushioned inside than a typical penny (I have cramping problems with my right foot). They are a bit too shiny for my liking (probably because they're corrected grain) but otherwise are working out nicely.

I was in New York last weekend and wore them for two days straight. Eventually my feet hurt from all the walking I id, but nothing specifically related to the shoes. They remained quite comfortable the whole time.

JB said...

Thanks for sharing that. I'm extremely flat footed, so we shall see how my pick works with my no-arch dogs.

Anonymous said...

Blackbird has the Alden beef roll penny in quite a few sizes.

JB said...

Thanks...I did see them at Blackbird, but alas not in my size.

I think my Bass x J Crew should arrive today. Decision must be made tonight, for casual friday wear tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

What about Oak Street Bootmakers. They're on backorder but maybe some NYC stores carry them.

Honestly, I think I've owned 1 pair of loafers in my life--some plain, square-toe, lug sole J. Crew loafers 15 years ago.