Sunday, August 9, 2009

Back to (501) Basics

The options for a dude when it comes to denim these days is endless. Straight fit, slim fit, boot fit, skinny (ugh) fit, dark, light, medium, holes, etc. If you're like me, and you have a thing for jeans, it can make you crazy sometimes.

Walking thru Macy's yesterday with M2 asleep in my arms (he's 3 now, so this got pretty heavy pretty quickly) and M1 walking beside me, I pass a table of Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit jeans. So I stop and peruse. On Sale! Just $32.99--Immediately, M1 says "Daaaaaaaaady, let's go, you don't need more jeans!"

I decide that its time for another go at the STF route. Maybe I can really get good results this time. So I grab a pair.

2 hours later, at home, I'm in a hot bath with my Levi's and my kids are looking at me like I've really lost my mind this time. I spend the rest of the day in my wet 501s, as they mold to my body. Today I did another warm soak to shrink them a bit more. Sitting in my wet 501s once again as I write this.

Wifey just looks at me, shakes her head, and says "You're not normal."

I sure hope not.

I'll report back over time on how these progress. The key is constant wear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...it's always good to re-visit the classic 501 every blue moon. I wore mine yesterday!

Today's model is a far cry from the 501's I wore back in Jr. high though (I'll be 39 in September). There's too much loose threading, for one. Also, the fabric isn't as visually appealing as it was during the early 80's. The "Jr. high" version had little white flecks in the denim, which gave it an almost grayish undertone. Also, I think that the back pockets are too small and spaced too far apart on my size 38's.

Nevertheless, I'll always hold a special place for Levi's. In fact, I always say that the 501 is the perfect/safest starting place for those who aren't really up on denim...it's cheap raw denim with **historical value**. So regardless of the fact that the quality has eroded over the years, you'll never get made fun of for sporting a pair!

I'm about to put mine on right now--heading out to catch "District 9" with my girl friend...

Peace!