Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I bought how many?

Do you ever stop and look in your closet and become a bit overwhelmed? Damn, I think I've over-bought now.

Ya know in the movies, where closets are always so spacious and clothes have room to breathe and hang without wrinkles? I'm always torn between that ideal and a packed closet full of new purchases and old faves (I don't have the luxury of a spacious walk-in closet). A minimal collection, with classic go-to pieces has always been this European ideal that I strive for, but it never seems to work. Hard to pass up sales and American consumerism always seem to win that battle.

Last Friday, when planning for an overnight away with the wife, I got that overwhelmed feeling. When that happens, I immediately look for items that I'm no longer in love with, and I put them in the donate pile. So 3 shirts came out and went in the donation bag. Actually, I think it was 4. I try to donate 1 for every new 1 I buy but that doesn't always work.

It also made me take a look at what I've bought over the past 6 months to see what's really worked and what hasn't.

What's worked: J Crew's Aldridge suits, Hathaway Platinum Shirts, Sperry Top-Siders, J Crew Jaspe Tees

What's not been working: J Crew broken-in Tee's (Bought too many-no chance to wear them all), J Crew Favorite shirts (bought too many!), J Crew loafers (bad quality, went back!)

Happy Pickins!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

You are me. I'm definitely overwhelmed with what's in my closet, so much so I am paralyzed by all my options. Sometimes I think I just like seeing a full closet since I basically wear the same thing everyday :)

J.

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

I get this way, too. I've come to realize that if I don't wear a new purchase within 2 weeks it usually means that I really don't *love* it and shouldn't keep it, so I try to take it back. Sometimes that doesn't work because the *maybe someday* thought comes in to play, but I'm really working hard on sticking with this particular *rule*.

Just a thought...why don't you list your *not needed* items on the JCA weekly exchange? I know there are several other guys on there...maybe you all could start selling/swapping as well?

Have a great evening!

JB said...

FFM...Great idea about the JCA Weekly exchange!